The first dental visit is often a huge milestone in a child’s and a parent’s life. For some parents it’s nerve-wracking to think of their child in a dental setting. This is especially true if a parent has had a negative dental experience themselves. At Wilton Pediatric Dentistry we do our best to make the first dental visit a positive experience for both parents and children alike.
Here’s what you can expect from a first dental visit for a young child at Wilton Pediatric Dentistry:
- Before your appointment you’ll be sent a link to our online forms so that you can fill them out in the comfort of your own home.
- Our friendly front desk staff will greet you when you arrive. Your child will have the opportunity to play in our waiting room while you confirm any insurance information we may need. We also have a refreshment station for parents to grab a cup of tea or coffee.
- A team member will escort you and your child back to the clinical area. We encourage parents to be present for the first visit for young children. As they gain more confidence you may find that your child eventually wants to come back on his/her own!
- Dr. Sebro will review your child’s medical history as well as any concerns you may have about your child’s teeth. We start the appointment with conversation instead of jumping directly to dental work to give your child a chance to get used to a new environment. It’s usually this part of the appointment where your child gets to choose what to watch on TV!
- Dr. Sebro will use tell-show-do to show your child the instruments and items used in the dental office. Often she will allow your child to touch and hold them so they can see that they are not scary.
- Depending on the child’s age, he or she will either sit in the chair or on a parent’s lap. Then, Dr. Sebro will brush, floss, and examine their teeth to check for cavities. During the exam Dr. Sebro also checks for any growth and jaw discrepancies. During this part of the appointment Dr. Sebro usually goes over tips and tricks for effectively cleaning your child’s teeth and will point out any areas of concern.
- The appointment ends with application of fluoride if age appropriate as well as answering any questions that remain after. Children get a dental care kit to take home and we end on a high note with stickers and prizes!
The earlier you bring your child for their first dental visit, the earlier any issues can be found and nipped in the bud. The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry recommends that a child’s first visit happens within 6 months of the first tooth erupting or by 12 months, whichever is first.
Starting early gives your child a chance to get used to the dentist and dental office. With regular visits they gain confidence in coming to get dental care. At Wilton Pediatric Dentistry we love being the foundation for a lifetime of dental care and pride ourselves in growing confident dental patients. Call our office or schedule online to get your child’s dental health journey started today!
Dr. Ashleigh Sebro is a Board-Certified pediatric dentist as well as the owner and founder of Wilton Pediatric Dentistry. She is committed to providing gentle and compassionate dental care to children with the hopes of creating a generation who is not scared of the dentist. Dr. Sebro has been recognized as one of the top 40 under 40 dentists in America for her dedication to pediatric dental health and her focus on prevention.